Memories

I don't know how many of you were in band in high school. For me, band was my sanctuary. I was in the band room more than the directors were. My dad was the director of transportation for the band. He also helped to fix instruments and keep the bandroom in order. So back when I was in high school, my dad had a key to the bandroom. (The directors got tired of having to come to the school all the time! lol)

Anyways, I learned a lot from band. I also learned to play many instruments that I wish I still played today. Unfortunately I have forgotten most of them.

I do remember one thing.... lots of things, but this time of year reminds me of one thing....

Every year, the band would practice and learn "Pomp and Circumstance" to play for graduation. I had played it for 4 years. (My 8th grade year, they let me come up and play it for my brother's graduation!) All of a sudden it was my Senior year. I helped hand out the music to the underclassmen. I sat there watching as everyone flipped through the pages. Then it hit me! I wasn't going to be playing any more. I had officially played my final concert.

At the end of the year, auditions were held for the next year's band. Luckily that meant that the band director's would black out the windows of their offices so no one could see in. You could still hear what was going on, but you could not see in or out.

So, after fighting back tears the first day of practice, I got the director's key to his office and sat in his office crying during class. That was Tuesday and Wednesday. On Thursday and Friday, we had 1/2 days and exams. I had high enough grades that I didn't have to take the exams. So I hung out in the gym with my dad and helped him set up the PA system for graduation practice. Then on Friday I helped him set up for Graduation!

I learned many lessons from band. Probably the best thing I learned was that family isn't always blood-related! We worked hard! We kicked tail! We rocked!

For now and always..... GO SPIDERS!


Until next time........

Comments

Unknown said…
Oh, Leslie. I wasn't in the band. I was a songleader & I used to work with the band on our songs & tempo. That was back before high schools used taped music.

Nothing was more fun than performing at halftime! Our band was wonderful! Go Bruing!
Phyllis said…
Funny. I actually had a dream on Tuesday night...and it was about band. All of us were there. It was really weird.

My fondest memories of high school involve band (or the people from band). I'm really hoping Abby's interest in music continues and she wants to be in the band when she gets older.

Popular posts from this blog

Emotional Easter

Saving Money

My Strange Collection--But Not Strange to Me!