Tuesday, January 10, 2012


On December 29, 2011, I had had a headache for over two months.  I'm not talking about little nagging things.  I'm talking about headaches that made it hard to open my eyes, to focus on what I was doing, or to keep a train of thought. 

It was hard to sleep.  It was hard to stay awake.  It was hard to do much of anything.

The headache started one morning.  I woke up with it.  I don't even remember the morning that it started.  I thought it was related to my sinuses.  I took sinus meds.  I took pain meds.  Then a couple days (maybe 3) later, when I was still in pain, I stopped taking meds.  I had medicine anyway.  The fact that the sinus meds and pain meds weren't working meant that it wasn't a sinus infection and that I was going to have a headache for a few days.

Before I had Chasity, I had ONE headache for a YEAR!  Yes!  I went to the doc for tests!  No!  They couldn't figure out why I was having a headache.  Finally one day, I woke up and it was GONE!

Ever since then, I have had headaches.  If I wake up with one, I treat it for a couple of days with sinus and pain meds, but then if it doesn't go away, I know it's going to stick around for a while!  Then one day I wake up and it's gone.

I had an MRI for the headache (that I was talking about on December 29, 2011).  I had had blood work done.  Everything came back NORMAL!  And... best of all.... I HAVE A BRAIN!  (LOL)

I had a follow up appointment on Dec 29th with my doctor to see where to go from there.  I said, "Doc, everything is coming back normal.  What do we do now?  I'm hurting.  Just so you know.  Today is one of those days where I might either pass out or puke on you."

She said, "Don't puke on me!"  I think she could handle the passing out if I decided to do that!  lol

Anyways, she said that she would give me a medicine to prevent headaches and then something to take when I feel a headache starting.  However, neither of those would make the headache go away.  So what did she propose?

She would give me two shots in the office that day.  I would have time to get home from the office and go to bed. 

So that is what I did.  I got the shots at 5pm on December 29th. 

I woke up around 9:30pm.  I ate 12 bites of food.  (Yes!  I counted!)

Then I went back to sleep with a cool damp rag over my eyes. 

I don't remember anything else until 8am the next morning.

On December 30th, I felt a little better.  I could move my head without feeling like I was going to pass out.

On January 1st, I had the first day in over two months without a headache!  That was the BEST way ever to start a new year! :)

Now I am on preventative meds.  I have not had to take the other meds for when I can feel a headache coming. 

I am so glad that I have not had a headache in 9 days! 

God and my doctor hooked me up! :) 

1 Comments from my friends:

Sues said...

I'm interested to hear more about how this treatment progresses for you. I was never a "headachey" person; but 3 years ago, I had a month-long one, too. Every once in a while I have another mystery (although all thankfully shorter, thus far) bout with them, and "there's nothing wrong with me." I'm not as miserable as you were, but still interested...