Making Room for God's Plan

About 18 months ago, on June 10, 2015, I did something I didn't really want to do. I walked out of my job for the final time. I had resigned (effective on the last day of school) a few weeks earlier.

I didn't want to do it. My flesh was terrified. I'm sure I've shared that here. Tony and I had discussed it and prayed about it. We felt it was the right thing to do. We knew God would supply. He has. We have not gone without anything we have needed since I resigned.

When I left the classroom that day, I was leaving a classroom I had been in for 3 years. I had been teaching a total of 4 years. I had a lot of stuff. When I say a lot of stuff, I mean a LOT! I put all my files and notebooks and books in crates and boxes and tubs. It took me 2 loads with the seats laid down in my minivan.

For the past 18 months, all of that stuff... all the boxes, all the crates, all the tubs.... have been sitting in my office floor. If I needed something from the office, I had to move 4 years of teaching stuff to get to it.

Over the past week, I have been cleaning. I put all the files in the filing cabinet. I got rid of some of the old paperwork. I donated some of the old books. I cleared out the floor.  I even vacuumed the office.... since we could finally SEE the carpet in there for the first time in almost 2 years.

After it was all done, I teared up. I told Tony that I feel like I am giving up.

I recycled the boxes. They are gone.
I donated the books. They are gone.
I threw away the papers. They are gone.

For 18 months, I had everything ready. If I had been offered a classroom, I could have just loaded up my van (twice) and put everything in my new classroom.

As I looked at the trash and recycling and donations, I knew that I couldn't get all that back.

I told Tony I was giving up. He said, "Boxes are superficial. We can get new ones. You can still be in a classroom tomorrow, if you get a job."

That made me think.

Sometimes, you have to get out of God's way. If you want something so badly, sometimes you get in the way.

God has a plan for my life. I have no idea what it is.

Now... my office is clean. I can get in there to do some scrapbooking. I actually have been scrapbooking for two days now.

I have officially (and physically) made room for God to put me where He wants me.

I am making room for God's plan!

Comments

Anonymous said…
I love this! It's so true on so many levels. I'm certain the cleaning was hard, but needed for you. So proud of you for taking steps to ready yourself for the next step in God's plan...whatever that might be. And just think, those donations could be the action that spurs the next step in God's plan for someone else :-)

Popular posts from this blog

Emotional Easter

Saving Money

My Strange Collection--But Not Strange to Me!