I Wish The World Was Different

Today, I have no pictures to share.

I have no funny stories.

I have frustration.

I have anger.

I have a desire that the world my daughter, my brother's kids/grandkids, and my sister's kids are growing up in was different.

Earlier this week, in less than 30 minutes, the lives of my sister and her kids changed forever.

My sister works in the office at a child care facility. She has the privilege of having her kids in classes there while she is at work (mainly before and after school for the middle one!)!!

A couple of days ago, she had to run an errand for work.  When she got back to work, it was time to go home.  In the 20 minutes or so that it took for her to gather her things from her office and get her two youngest daughters from their classes, someone busted out the back passenger window of her car and stole her purse.

Yes, we are thankful that she and the girls weren't in the car. No one is hurt..... physically.

Luckily, she keeps her ID and stuff with her phone (which is ALWAYS connected to her hand!!)  That is safe! And, she had her keys with her.  However, her purse had cash in it that she was going to use for some of her bills.  (So that stinks!)

All that can be replaced.... with time.


What can't be replaced is the security that my youngest two nieces used to feel. 

The six-year-old cries when she has to go outside in the dark (although it was daytime when the break in happened). 

The five-year-old says, "A monster broke into Mommy's car and stole her purse."  When she goes outside, she says, "Come out, come out wherever you are!" She's trying to find the "monster".

I grew up in a house that was broken into a few times.....once while we were all in the house! (That's a different story!)  I know the fear of going back to the same place.

When the "same place" is your school, your car????  How do you cope with that?  How does a 6 year old and a 5 year old cope with their world being rocked like that?!?!

I hate that my nieces now know what it's like to fear being outside, day or night!!!


Isn't that what we try to shield our kids from?  Isn't that what parents are supposed to be able to do, keep our kids safe?  Make them feel secure? 

The purse and the wallet and the cards and the money..... they are important, but they can be replaced.

As a family, now, we have to find a way to replace the sense of security my sister and her girls lost.


I wish the world was different for many, many reasons, but today I wish the world was different for my nieces (and all the kids) who are realizing there are "monsters" out there!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Emotional Easter

Saving Money

My Goodie Box!