Homeschooling: Our 9th Grade Schedule




As Chasity's high school and homeschool days are coming to an end, May 2021, I find myself reflecting on the things we have done and how they worked, or did not work for us. 

One thing that we had to adjust quite often in the beginning was the schedule. It has changed a lot over the years. 

When Chasity was in 9th grade, we had to play around with her schedule to get it just right for her and us. I was working part-time, and we were new to homeschooling. Oh yeah....and it was HIGH SCHOOL!!  

Typically, I worked 3-5 hours a day at the daycare where my mom was the director. It was normally 10am-12:30pm (or 2:30pm), depending on the day. If I was going in as a substitute teacher in the school system, I would work longer days. 

At the beginning of October 2017, I was called to cover a maternity leave from October 16th to December 1st. Then the teacher decided to stay out until Christmas break. Then, the week before Christmas, she decided she wanted a week AFTER break as well. So I was there until the middle of January. 

The schedule was different for "daycare days" and "substitute days."

On daycare days, Chasity was up around 8am and working. She would complete math and 1-2 other subjects by the time we left at 9:30am. At that time, I would take her to my parents' house where she would work until she was finished with all her classes for the day, or until I got off work.

On substitute days, she was up and working by 6:30am. She worked on Math first, always. We left the house by 7:30. I would take her to my parents' house to complete her work for the rest of the day. 





For me, it drove me nuts that there was little consistency. I am a creature of habit, and, although quite unorganized at times, I do not like change. I like to know what is going to happen and when. I want to know what is first, second, and third. I put things that I use every day in one spot and expect them to stay there. 

There was SOME consistency to the weekly schedule...most of the time. 

Mondays--School only

Tuesdays--School; Homeschool Chorus

Wednesdays--School; Youth Group

Thursdays--School; Girl Scouts (every other week)

Fridays--School; Family time (often bowling)

Saturdays--Bowling (counted as a class for school)

Sundays--Church; Shopping; anything else we needed to do 

Then is started all over again! 


One that that was always consistent was that no two days were ever alike--EVER! Obviously, whatever we did worked for us. Chasity finished 9th grade with a 4.0 GPA and is now taking college classes at RCCC, well, online! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Emotional Easter

When All Is Said And Done

Saving Money