I Don't Know What to Write

When I was in 6th grade, and then again in 8th grade, I had an English teacher who called herself "Killer Miller."  At the end of the year, we would get shirts that said, "I survived Killer Miller!"  Yep!  It was bad!

However, she taught me a few things that I still us, but never would have thought I'd do again!

1. When you are writing a rough draft, double space (maybe more).  That way you can make corrections "in between the lines".  I still do that, and I have my students do that too.

2. READ!  Read every day!  Never stop reading!  Ok!  So, I may not read as much as I should every day, but I do read SOMETHING every day....texts, emails, blogs, etc.  I should probably read more books, but I'm working on that!

3. If you need to write something, but you can't figure out what to write, start by writing, "I don't know what to write" repeatedly.  If you are writing for 5 minutes, you may fill up 1/2 a page or more with this, but you will come up with something to write.  Your brain will start writing things and then it will flow to your hands. :)  I have my kids do this.  Sometimes, I get journal entries from them that have this in it.  It's neat to see how it really does work.

Needless to say, I honestly thought I was going to have to start this post that same way.  Fortunately, thoughts came to mind as I began writing the title.  Sometimes is happens quickly.  Sometimes it happens slowly.  But, most assuredly, it will happen if you give it time! :) 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Emotional Easter

My Goodie Box!

Saving Money