Being a Tutor Makes a Difference

I am a lot of things....as we all know.

I always have plenty that I can be doing, but sometimes I don't get it all done.

One of my favorite things to do is teach. I feel that I am called to teach. I have taught Sunday School. I teach Children's Church. I have taught high school English.

Actually, last year, I covered a maternity leave for a teacher in a 7th grade ELA class.

Since my licensure is in English 9-12, I can teach middle school or high school (without having to take any extra classes/tests!!)!!!

Now that I'm not teaching full time, and I'm a substitute, it leaves me with time on my hands.

Over the years, even when I was a full time student and full time teacher (with very little "extra" time on my hands), I have been a tutor.

The best part about being a tutor is I get to set my schedule. I get to work when it's convenient to my family and me. I get to be where the Princess needs me to be, but then I get to work with students who need help.

The second best part (probably my favorite part) is that I get to help students find a way to understand something they are struggling with.

I get to see the lightbulb as it comes on when they grasp a concept.

For me, that's making a difference. It's the difference between a student not knowing what/how to do something. It's the difference in a student gaining new skills.

Most importantly, it's the difference in the student's level of self-esteem.  When something is hard for you, you tend to avoid it. You don't want to try. Then when you are forced to try, you fail.

Being a tutor lets me see the difference in a student who has given up and conceded to failing at something and the same student who tries because it really isn't as bad as they originally thought.


I love being a tutor.

Why?

Being a tutor, makes a difference.

If your child is in middle or high school (and some college classes), I am available for tutoring. I can help with grammar, literature, and papers. I can help at any phase of writing a paper--from concept to final product.

We can discuss pricing based on what is needed for your child.

If you live outside of driving distance, we can use phones or even Skype to work together.

Please let me know if you need my services. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Emotional Easter

I Keep Losing Days

Saving Money