How Do We Make It Stop?

Some of us have been bullied.

Some of us have bullied others.

Some of us have been bullied and then "toughened up" and started bullying others.

No matter which of those categories you fall into bullying is wrong! 

Unfortunately, it happens on a daily basis. It happens in homes across the country. It happens in classrooms across the country. It happens in public and in private. It just happens.

But.... it shouldn't! 

No one should ever be bullied.

When I was growing up, we called it "being picked on". Now, it's much more serious. With social media, it's often much more private, as well.

I was bullied as a kid. I was taller than most of the kids in my class. I was bigger than most of the kids in my classes. I was bullied. Luckily, I had a family that told me how awesome I am, and I am stronger for the battles I have been through.

The Princess has been bullied. She has beautiful long blond hair. She has been called Rapunzel many times, and she hates it. She has been bullied for being too smart!  She has been bullied by classmates, but she has also been bullied by one of her teachers. Luckily, she has never wanted to hurt herself or others because of being bullied.

Bullying is not just a "mean girls" thing. We've all seen the movies and TV shows with those girls. No, now it's in the main stream. Kids you would never imagine being bullies are picking on/harassing other students. These kids get by with it because you wouldn't suspect them and because they are the "good kids".

I have a friend whose son has been bullied most of this school year. He's a great kid. On Monday of this week, he told a couple of friends on the bus ride home from school that he wanted to kill himself because of the way people were treating him....because of the bullying.   He has great friends!  Those friends told their parents who called the school. The school then called my friend (his mom) and she and his dad are now getting him the help that he needs to cope with this!

How can we make this stop?

Did you know that in the state of NC, the Anti-Bullying Laws and Policies do not make schools keep track (and report) the number of instances of bullying? It also does not make the schools report what the bully's consequences were.

Click here to check out the NC Law (according to StopBullying.gov).

I think we need something that requires schools to be held to the NO TOLERANCE POLICY they claim to have for bullying.

My question again is, HOW DO WE MAKE THIS STOP? 

What can we do to make it harder for bullies to get away with their actions?

What can we do to protect the students who have been bullied and make it easier for them to come forward to get the help they need?

How can we make sure that no more lives are lost too soon because people feel like they have no other alternative than to kill themselves to get out of the situation?

How do we make it stop?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Emotional Easter

Saving Money

My Goodie Box!