The Difference of Two Grades

 As you know, I am staying home and helping my sister with her two littles. The schools here are completely virtual, at least for the time being. 

So, I have my kiddo upstairs doing her community college classes for dual credit (high school and college). Then I have a 2nd grader and a 4th grader downstairs at the dining room table with me. 

As I type this, the 2nd grader to my left is watching a live video of her teacher, and the teacher can see her. Every so often, she unmutes herself and speaks to her teacher and classmates.

On my right, the 4th grader is watching a live video of her teachers (yes, two of them), but the teachers can neither see or hear her.

The 2nd grader will have the chance to do a 2-3 minute dance break, but the 4th grader will sit there. She will get a 5 minute break, but unless she goes to the potty, she will not move from her seat. 

This goes on every day from 8:30-10am. At that time, they either go to small group with teachers, or they do individual work. The 2nd grader has her small group today. It should last about 45-60 minutes. Even with that and her individual work, she will be done by 1:30pm. That includes 30 minutes or so for lunch/rest time.

Her sister, the 4th grader, will do a small group from 10:30-11am. Then she will have enough work to keep her busy until lunch. After lunch, she will complete more work and another small group from 1:50-2:20. Some days, that is the end of it. Most days, she has to keep working for a little longer. Last week, the earliest she finished was 3:30. She worked until 5pm one day, and that's ridiculous for 4th grade--8:30am-5pm. Those are banker's hours....not elementary school hours. 

I know that there is more work for the 4th grader, and the work is harder; however, I do not see that there should be 2-3 hours more of work every day! 


There is a gap between the two grades, and the way that the teachers handle the grades is completely different. 

If you know me, or my sister, you know which kid is which and with which school(s) they are working. Otherwise, I have been careful to select my words and thoughts so that I did not give away anything about the school(s). 

I just think that it's really hard to expect kids to sit for over an hour at a time watching a video (even if it's live). 

When I was in the high school classroom, we had 90 minute blocks. I was not allowed have my students stay in their seats for the entire class, but that is what the elementary students are expected to do right now..... 90 minutes of sitting, taking notes, and listening. 


The difference of two grades is simple..... the younger the kids are, the more they get to move. Unfortunately, they still aren't moving much.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Emotional Easter

When All Is Said And Done

Saving Money